Just like people, horses enjoy and benefit from massage therapy. Massage therapy can be approached in a couple of different ways: relaxation and deep tissue.
Depending on your horse’s individual needs, often a combination of the two types of massage can be beneficial. The results are a happier, healthier horse.
Equine Relaxation Massage
Relaxation massage is fantastic for:
- Injury prevention for hardworking horses
- Stress relief during show season
- Settling a nervous horse’s energy
- Treating for your beloved equine partner!
Benefits of relaxation massage include:
- Relaxed muscles and mind
- Increased circulation
- Preventing muscle wasting (atrophy) after trauma
- Elimination of toxins by working on the lymphatic system
Relaxation massage typically is used when a horse is sound and not requiring specific treatment.
Equine Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage is an excellent tool for working with:
- Soreness and tightness
- Knots (adhesions)
- Minor spinal misalignment
Problems that can be alleviated by deep tissue massage:
- Challenges picking up a lead
- Restricted bending either way
- Difficulty extending or collecting
“…The issue I had with my horse due to stress from spooking while tied was resolved by Lauren’s massage and application of the [essential] oils” – Roger Florence, Vernon BC